CAMPUS REPORTS
NSA Welcomes 22 Rescued Zamfara Varsity Students and Staff

The National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu, on Monday, received 22 abducted students and staff members of the Federal University, Gusau, Zamfara, who were rescued on Sunday.
The 22 people, comprising 15 students and seven workers of the university, were abducted from the university in September 2023.
According to the NSA, the rescue operation was coordinated by the National Counter-Terrorism Centre (NCTC) on Sunday.
PREMIUM TIMES reported earlier that security sources said they were rescued by security agents near Kuncin Dutse, a village in Tsafe Local Government Area of Zamfara. The Coordinator of the National Counter-terrorism Centre, Adamu Laka, a major general, reportedly coordinated the operation.
This newspaper also reported that they were further gathered that the rescued persons had been handed over to the security authorities in Abuja. Mr Laka is expected to present them to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, on Monday.
Mr Ribadu who received the rescued victims on Monday in Abuja, urged them not to allow their experience to break them, but should rather make them stronger.
The NSA also thanked the parents of the rescued victims for their patience and understanding during the period, and commended security agencies for their tireless work and sacrifices.
“On behalf of the President, I thank all those involved in the successful rescue of the victims without losing anyone of them or paying any ransom.
“This is yet again a success story in our efforts to free all those being unlawfully held in captivity.
“We have so far released over a thousand of such victims without noise and in complete respect to their privacy and safety.
“This occasion marks a final juncture in a series of rescues we have undertaken in the last few months, to free victims of recent cases of mass abductions.
“Going forward, we are strengthening law enforcement and security measures to prevent these abductions, and strengthen physical security across vulnerable communities,” he said.
The abduction
Earlier, the National Coordinator (NCTC) Adamu Laka, a major-general, recalled that those rescued were abducted from the school on 22 September 2023 at about 2.30 a.m.
Mr Laka said the bandits armed with various weapons attacked three off-campus students’ hostels at Sabon Gida in Gusau, and kidnapped a number of female students alongside some male artisans.
Others, he said, were a private security guard and a protocol officer of the university.
He added that the bandits ransacked the hostels, carted away foodstuffs, mobile phones, laptops, ATM cards, cash and other valuables.
According to him, the abductees were subsequently herded on motorcycles and foot to a location through a town in Tsafe local government area of Zamfara.
“Search and rescue was conducted by a combined team of law enforcement agencies and the abductees were subsequently released in three batches, after 207 days in captivity.
The first batch was rescued on 15 March while the second batch was rescued on April 12 and the last batch rescued on April 14.
“All the abductees were profiled at NCTC while the ONSA Medical Team examined them and administered minor treatments on the bruises sustained by 3 of the abductees.
“Four of them were diagnosed of malaria and are being treated. None of the females was molested and all the females tested negative to pregnancy test,” he said.
Rescued victim speaks
One of the rescued victims, Hafsat Ibrahim, thanked God and the government for ensuring their safe return after 207 days in captivity.
Representative of Zamfara government, Ibrahim Anka, commended the efforts of the NSA in coordinating the military and security operations that ensured the safe rescue of the victims.
Mr Anka also commended the federal government for the efforts and recent positive improvement in security in the state.
(NAN/PREMIUM TIMES)
Discover more from Asiwaju Media
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
-
POLITICS6 days ago
Nwifuru, Umahi Celebrate President Tinubu at 73
-
EDITORIAL5 days ago
Where Is Dimeji Bankole NOW ?
-
POLITICS7 days ago
Umahi Accused Of Demanding Hot $3x From Popular Business Woman
-
CAMPUS REPORTS5 days ago
Upload your results or lose admission, JAMB tells Direct Entry candidates
-
NEWS5 days ago
We Removed FCT From TSA To Speed Up Development – Tinubu
-
TECH5 days ago
OpenAI faces tight deadline to secure $40bn SoftBank funding
-
NEWS4 days ago
Lawmakers decry prolong detention of inmates in Abia prison
-
POLITICS4 days ago
Mgboko Lauds Gov. Nwifuru’s Transformative Agenda
-
CAMPUS REPORTS2 days ago
Ebonyi Rep Member Returns N4 Million Amidst Extortion Allegations
-
TECH5 days ago
Elon Musk merges X with xAI in a $33bn deal
-
JOBS/SCHOLARSHIPS4 days ago
Apply for AstraZeneca Young Health Program Impact Fellowship 2025 ($50,000 Grant)
-
NEWS6 days ago
Edo community in Kano condemns Uromi killings, calls for Justice