Connect with us

POLITICS

Nwifuru evacuates 800 displaced Ebonyians by Lagos demolition

Published

on

Nwifuru evacuates 800 displaced Ebonyians by Lagos demolition

Not less than 800 Ebonyi indigenes in Ilaje-Island in Lagos State, who were displaced, have been evacuated by the Ebonyi State government under the leadership of Governor Francis Nwifuru.

The Lagos State government allegedly demolished structures considered illegal in Ilaje, where many people from different states of the federation including Ebonyi State are residing, leaving them stranded.

Governor Francis Nwifuru who was informed of the development, ordered the evacuation of Ebonyi people affected by the demolition.

Last week, over 800 persons made up of children between ages of three and four years, and men and women, were brought back to Ebonyi State through coaster buses that carried them to the state.

he Focal Person of Ebonyi people living in diaspora, Chief Valentine Okike, told journalists in Abakaliki on Monday that the displaced persons were living in open places, including under bridges after the demolition, thereby exposing them to danger, which touched Governor Nwifuru and he ordered for their immediate evacuation

Okike, who is the state Commissioner for Special Duties, said, ā€œWe were officially informed on Monday that Ebonyi people in Ilaje, Lagos Island, Lagos were displaced and our governor, Rt. Hon Francis Nwifuru ordered that I should go and bring them to our dear state. I went to Lagos and brought them back

ā€œIt was an eyesore seeing small children below three, four years living in an open place, under the bridge.

These people really went through hardship and it was on that basis that the governor said ā€˜no, I will not allow my people to continue to sufferā€™ and immediately mandated me to bring them back home.

ā€œBuses were made available to bring them back home and their situation was terribly bad. I can authoritatively tell you that for those of them that wanted to come back, all of them are back home.

ā€œIt is not only Ebonyi people that their properties were demolished, there were other people from other states who were also affected by the demolition. But I can tell you that it is only Ebonyi State government that took that proactive measure by bringing them back home and I can understand what the governor was trying to avoid because he believes in good governance.ā€

Share

Discover more from Asiwaju Media

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

We serve you the recent Political, Entertainment, Sports, news in Nigeria today from latest celebrity news, Opinion, photos, scandals & many more. We are dressed with compelling News and Opinion articles that grow unique visitors and we ensure returning visitors become loyal readers.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

TRENDING

Discover more from Asiwaju Media

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading